Kyle in Lake Assal, Djbouti

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Approaching the end of Peace Corps

This week has been a conference. Peace Corps will end for me in early January, so this whole week has been dedicated to preparing us volunteers for wrapping up our projects, saying our goodbyes, and transitioning back into our lives in America.

I was prepared for a bunch of lame speeches and premature, forced reflection, but was pleasantly surprised at how useful the conference has been. It does seem daunting to go from living in Ethiopia for 2 years, and then to go back to my old life, so I'm glad to have the support that Peace Corps is offering.

Even though I'll be sad to leave this place behind, I'll be excited to start my expedition and raise some money for NDCC. I don't know how I will handle the stress of the next 6 weeks. I always knew this time would come, but now it's actually here.

My training for this week has been a total wash. Other than a quick kayak trip across the lake and a bit of pool time at the conference, I haven't been exercising at all. It's been too tempting to sit and drink with my friends for the last time, and that's exactly what I've been doing. At least I'm stuffing my face with a lot of good food, so I might put some pounds back onto my skinny frame. I'll be sure to start my exercises again when I get back to Bahir Dar in a couple days.

Although there is a bit of sadness, knowing that I'm that much closer to starting the expedition is getting me excited. I'll keep you all posted on my thoughts as my time in the Peace Corps winds down.

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment