Kyle in Lake Assal, Djbouti

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Strain on Retlationships


I’ve been off doing my thing for more than 4 years now. 2 years of AmeriCorps put me in California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana, and Texas for different disaster recovery and conservation projects. After that, 2 years in Ethiopia with Peace Corps. I’ve been transient, and often hard to get a hold of. I’ve been bouncing from place to place, friend to friend, job to job. I’ve visited 42 states in the last 8 years.

It’s been an amazing way to spend my mid-twenties. I’ve been meeting a lot of amazing people and have been traveling to places I never imagined. The down side? My family back in New York. I’m so out of touch with things back home, and now I have a girlfriend living in England. My life is all over the globe, and it’s hard to manage with poor internet and phone services, and very little money in my savings.

What is starting to make me nervous is communication during Low2High. For me, it’s very important that I can keep in regular contact with the people I care about. I won’t be bringing my laptop because the MacBook is a bit too heavy, fragile, and expensive for a bike tour. I can get sim cards for different countries as I go, but the phone network will be spotty. Maybe I don’t need to be nervous. Maybe it’ll work out fine, but I need to be prepared to spend some extra time and money keeping in touch with everyone. After putting up with my last 4 years of vagabonding, they deserve it.

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, my experience has been that every other country has a better phone network than Ethiopia. I was rarely ever unable to place a call or send a text message in Kenya or Uganda (although admittedly, I didn't go anywhere terribly obscure in Uganda). Tanzania is pretty good too, although in central TZ you may have some trouble. You can also buy a SIM card for like $2 at any bus stop or shack in all these countries, which is a lot easier than Ethiopia. I think international texts from those places are pretty cheap too. So basically, once you get out of Ethiopia, communication will be easy as pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle its Banjo Ben from Americorps. I just wanted to let you know that Im teaching a Unit on Africa, and I am sharing your blog with my class of 7th graders. Its an awesome way to show them a current and personal side of Africa. They are all cheering for you. Im in Amherst, Mass
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete