Kyle in Lake Assal, Djbouti

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Back into the Training Routine

I’m feeling better today. After cheating and having 2 lazy days for Christmas, I’m back into my training routine and getting motivated for the expedition again.

My exercise routine now consists of waking up at 5:45 am, and heading our running at 6am. I run toward the road to Addis Ababa, and then up and down a large hill 3 times. From the top of the hill, I get a beautiful vista of Lake Tana and can watch the city slowly wake up. The run takes about 70 minutes round trip, and is great for both cardiovascular endurance and for strengthening my leg muscles on the big hill.

In the evening, I do 60 minutes of calisthenics working my upper body and core. I use a resistance band and body weight to work my arms, shoulders, back, and abs. After that, I take the fully loaded bike out for a ride around town. I ride for 60 minutes continuously, never stopping, and if possible, constantly pedaling (not coasting down the gradual hills). All said, it’s 3 hours of training, every day. I'm lean and fit, and that's exactly what I need for Low2High.

After the morning run and evening bike ride, I drink a whey protein shake. Other than that, most of my protein comes from eggs. I eat sheep and goat meat in restaurants, but rarely cook it in my house. I weigh 175 pounds, so I try to consume 175 grams of protein throughout the day. Some days, it’s hard to pull off. I’m pretty sick of my high-protein food options lately, so I often end up eating the other local foods that are made of vegetables. Food is such a comfort, so at least if I chose a non-high-protein option, it’s because it’s a food I crave and it improves my mood.

Getting back into my routine is helping to focus my mind again. It was hard to feel homesick after speaking with my family on Christmas, but the mentally calming effect of exercising has grounded me. I’m ready to do this thing!

My days are now spent saying goodbyes, packing, and taking care of logistics. I’m exhausted. I have to do a lot of to get out of here, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since I’ve lived here for 2 years. I had a good break for Christmas, and will have a good New Years party, but with the rest of my time I’m phasing out of Peace Corps and prepping for Low2High: Africa.

Kyle



No comments:

Post a Comment