Kyle in Lake Assal, Djbouti

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Final Week

Addis Ababa may be a major city, but it's still Ethiopia. I came here a few days early to take care of visas for Djibouti and Somaliland and get my bike in for a tune-up. None of these have happened. Between the holiday, being out of town to visit my family, and the fact that everything is closed on Sunday, I feel that I've accomplished nothing. I'm starting to get nervous.

Monday through Wednesday are already booked up for Peace Corps business. There's a lot of paperwork, medical tests, and a departing interview I need to do. Somehow, I need to take care of all my Low2High business on the side in the same 9-5 schedule. Fingers crossed.

If all goes well, I'm heading to Dire Dawa by bus on Thursday, and then another bus to Djibouti City on Friday. I'm traveling with 2 friends. We'll have a day to enjoy Djibouti City, and then on Sunday we have a dive booked to snorkel with whale sharks and scuba in a reef. I can't wait to see the ocean for the first time in almost 3 years. Being a fan of the mountains, I never thought I'd miss the sea, but I definitely do. Diving will be a good vacation before hitting the road.

Monday, January 17, 2011 - I'll be off to Lake Assal, the lowest point on the African continent - 155 meters below sea level, and the official start of Low2High: Africa! If I can hitch a ride, I will, but Djibouti's reputation for being very expensive means I might be cycling to the starting line. I'll do what I have to do.

For now, I'm off to enjoy some cheap and decent food in Addis Ababa. I've been stuffing myself lately. It's better than the boring diet of eggs and PBJ I was forcing myself to eat for weeks in Bahir Dar. I'll see if I can talk my friends into getting some burgers!

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment