Kyle in Lake Assal, Djbouti

Monday, March 21, 2011

Greetings from the base of Mount Kilimanjaro!

Hey everybody! 62 Days after leaving Lac Assal, Djibouti, I have finally cycled to the base of the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro! Yesterday I rode from Moshi to Marangu town, and up the final 5km climb to the Marangu Gate entrance to Kilimanjaro National Park. I had a fun chat with the dumbfounded park staff and told them that I'll be back in 2 days to trek to Uhuru Peak. One guy could only reply with "That is strange."

So the cycling is complete. Just under 3,000 km of hard riding is over. I'm taking a rest day in Marangu, and tomorrow I start my seven-day trek up Marangu Route, aka the 'Coca Cola Route', to the summit. I'm at a painfully slow internet cafe, so photos will come after the trek. Wish me luck!

Don't forget, this is a fundraiser. With only 7 days until the end of my epic journey from the lowest point on the African continent to the highest, getting donations is more important that ever. Spread the word and help me bring in the last 600 pounds! Donate by visiting http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/low2highafrica

Kyle

1 comment:

  1. Lemosho route is the most Scenic Climb up Mt Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route using different routes; the one that is most popular is the Mt Kilimanjaro Marangu Route Climb since it is the shortest, is easier and you get to sleep in bunker beds in the huts on the hiking trail with luxuries like beverages and beer. Marangu route up kili is the most popular and therefore the one with the highest traffic. Click here to see the Marangu Route Map

    ReplyDelete